“How will I ‘treat’ myself for doing well?”
When you have accomplished one of your SHORT-TERM goals, the idea of “rewarding yourself” may seem a bit unusual or even silly. If you think about it, we do this all the time without calling it a “reward.”
For example, if you go out for lunch after finishing all of your errands for that day, you’ve rewarded yourself. Or, you’ve had a busy day at home or work, you may indulge in watching a favorite TV show, taking some “down time” and rewarding yourself for hard work.
Research studies show that rewards are very effective in helping us to make changes in our lives that are particularly difficult.
Examples of rewards
- Set aside some extra “me time”
- Plan a day trip to a special place
- Go out to lunch with a friend
- Buy a new article of clothing or an accessory
- Make an appointment for a manicure or a haircut
- Buy a CD or book
- Attend a play, a musical, or a concert
- Plan a trip to the movies
- Treat myself to something special or fun that I’ve been putting off for a long time